The best way to use pears this season? In all the savory dishes! This autumn pizza has a sweet and savory bite. Melty fontina cheese comes together with tangy goat cheese to create a lovely base for sliced Royal Riviera Pears. A sprinkling of fresh nutmeg and a scattering of sage leaves add extra flavor to this pie.
There is nothing better to complement a flavorful pizza than a simple greens salad, right? The pears in the salad complement the pizza perfectly, especially when the salad is drizzled with pear balsamic vinaigrette! Or, get more adventurous and try this Chardonnay Poached Pear Salad, another flavorful combination that pairs sweet pears with a dry white wine.
This full ensemble of salad and pizza is great for a fun weeknight dinner or an gourmet party with friends.
Autumn Pear Pizza with Greens Salad
For the Crust:
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 cup freshly grated fontina cheese
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 2 Harry and David Royal Riviera Pears (thinly sliced)
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup fresh sage
Balsamic Pear Salad:
- 8 cups torn butter lettuce
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 Harry and David Royal Riviera Pears
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Pear Balsamic Vinaigrette
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey, and olive oil.
- Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the flour and salt, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 1/2 cup of flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes.
- Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat.
- Cover with a towel and put in a warm place to rise for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin or your hands, form it into your desired shape and place it on a baking sheet or pizza pan. Place the towel back over the dough and let it sit in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Brush the dough with the olive oil and sprinkle with garlic.
- Sprinkle with the fontina and goat cheese. Layer the pears over the top and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and fresh nutmeg. Place the fresh sage leaves on top.
- Bake the pizza for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Let cool slightly before serving.
- To make the greens salad, toss the lettuce with salt and pepper. Add the sliced pears on top. To serve, drizzle with the pear balsamic vinaigrette.